Fighting For
Employee And Union Rights
Fighting For
Employee And Union Rights

How an electric shock can harm your body

On Behalf of | Dec 29, 2020 | Workers' Compensation

As Detroit’s electricians know, working with electricity requires extreme caution. Electrocution is deadly. Short of that is electric shock, which is not fatal but can cause serious health problems, burns and other symptoms.

After experiencing an electric shock incident, you may experience some or all of the following:

  • Burns
  • Seizure
  • Irregular heartbeat
  • Muscle spasms
  • Numbness or tingling
  • Headache
  • Breathing problems
  • Vision and/or hearing problems
  • Compartment syndrome

Compartment syndrome is a condition caused by muscle damage in the limbs. The damaged muscles cause the limbs to swell, compressing the arteries. The consequences can be severe.

Some shock symptoms fade fairly quickly. Others, like burns, eye damage, pain, tingling and muscle weakness, can last for months or years.

What to do if you get shocked

If you have been severely shocked on the job, first try to let go of the source of the electricity as soon as possible. Move away from the danger, but otherwise, try to remain still. Call 911 or call for help to have someone else make the call. A seemingly less powerful shock may not need emergency medical attention, but you should still see your doctor as soon as you can to check for internal injuries.

Seeking workers’ comp after an electric shock

Despite medical treatment, you still may not be able to return to work for a while. While recovering from a work-related injury, you could be entitled to workers’ compensation benefits. However, your employer and its workers’ comp insurance company could try to dispute your claim. If they deny that your injuries are work-related, you may need legal help to appeal. A workers’ compensation attorney can help you gather the evidence you need to make the most persuasive case possible.